Flood Season is Coming in Cuyahoga County
Floods often cause hellacious damage to your Cuyahoga County home, leaving you with a huge mess to clean up after a major event. Many of you simply do not have the time or experience to correct all of the issues yourselves, which makes hiring a professional restoration company much more valuable.
A certified flood damage restoration company like ourselves can provide you with access to equipment, resources, and personnel along with the time and experience necessary to handle every aspect of the damage found on your property. Everything from flooded carpet to broken furniture requires particular attention, not to mention the amount of time it takes to dry structural materials properly.
You do not need to contact several companies, wasting time scheduling, postponing, or even canceling services on moments notice. SERVPRO makes it possible for homeowners to get all of the help they need by calling a single company. We handle all of the scheduling and provide you with a time frame estimate after performing our full inspection. Our supervising technician keeps you updated on every aspect of your restoration from start to finish.
If you are looking for a restoration company in Cuyahoga County you can trust to perform quality flood damage services on your property, look no further. We take care of your home, protect it from the elements and unwanted intrusion through our roof tarp and board up services. SERVPRO relocates the contents of your home to a safe, dry location and gives each item the attention it deserves.
SERVPRO of Gateway technicians take their jobs very seriously and are proud to be your choice to provide restoration services in your home. We understand how important your home is and make every effort to save as much of your property as possible while providing you with the best possible service.
With advances in cleaning and restoration today, flood waters cannot hide. We use infared moisture detectors, hygrometers, water extractors of all shapes and sizes to reach every area in your home. Even those pesky hard to reach areas that often expose your home to hidden dangers that develop over time.
Give SERVPRO of Gateway a call today for help restoring your home to a quality condition you and your family can enjoy. 216-575-1985
Let us handle the fire damage
Fires inside the home can be a terrifying ordeal. Flames, smoke, and ash can destroy many of your personal belongings and can also damage floors, carpets, and furniture inside the house. Once firefighters extinguish fires, dirt, debris, and strong smoke odors can remain inside the structure. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster, which is why calling us can be helpful.
SERVPRO of Gateway professional fire damage teams in Cuyahoga County are certified and can restore your house if possible. The techs may employ fans, and top-grade air scrubbing and fogging equipment to eliminate heavy smoke odors fast. Plus, the crew can use industrial cleaning products to remove ash, soot, and debris from the affected surfaces such as your ceilings, counter-tops, walls, and floors. The team may also apply odor removal deodorants to remove smoke odors from materials affected by the flames such as upholstery, curtains, and carpeting.
In some cases, we may need to utilize portable ozone machine to get rid of offensive and lingering smoke odors. Ozone machines use activated oxygen to neutralize and eliminate strong smells and to purify the atmosphere inside the structure. If we employ this type of equipment, all occupants and any pets inside the structure must leave the house until the job is complete due to the strong chemicals. You can rely on us to make sure the air quality inside your home is safe when you return.
If necessary, the team can perform minor repairs to secure the structure such as boarding a window or door or covering and sealing a hole in the roof. Securing the home can help prevent human and wildlife intruders from invading your house. If significant repairs are necessary, SERVPRO we can do the repairs and restoration as well. The crew can also remove burned or charred contents from the structure like carpeting, tables, chairs, clothing, and drapes. The technicians can clean, sanitize and store any materials they remove from the house and keep them in a safe storage area on or off-site until the job is complete.
SERVPRO of Gateway offers fast and reliable fire damage restoration that can return your home to its preloss condition. Contact us at 216-575-1985 any time of the day or night. We are close by and here to help.
What to Do Until We Arrive During a Fire Damage
House fire damage
A fire can be devastating. It leaves behind soot, smoke damage and a host of other problems. Fire damages can affect ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, and floors will often need thorough professional cleaning. If your home or business suffers a fire, it is important to take the appropriate steps to prevent further damage until your local SERVPRO of Gateway arrives. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork. n Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas
- If electricity is off, empty freezer/ refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor
- Wipe soot from chrome kitchen/ bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system
Call SERVPRO of Gateway at 216-575-1985, if you've had a fire or would like to know how we can help in the event you do.
Review your insurance policies in 2019!
Are you making a New Year's Resolution? Statistically, more than half of all resolutions fail... but they don't have to. We have some resolutions you can actually keep this year. Even better? You can accomplish most of these in January and be sitting pretty for the rest of the year, worry free with a simple insurance audit!
Update Home Inventory
Your home inventory is a tool that your agent can use to determine the right level of coverage for your homeowners insurance. Plus, if you have a claim, having an up-to-date inventory will benefit you and get your claim paid faster. If you haven't done an inventory on your home in a while, we have some tips on where to start. If you have completed an inventory, right after the holidays are and ideal time to update! Be sure to share the updated home inventory with your agent when you're done.
Right-Size Your Life Insurance
Life insurance is not one-size-fits-all. Your coverage needs to evolve over time. If you don't have a policy yet, now is a great time to talk to your agent about what type of policy would best suit your needs (and your budget.) We have six things you should consider when you are looking at coverage.
If you do already have life insurance, is it working hard for you? Could you get more benefit out of your policy while you are still living? Maybe. Talk to your agent about the ways you can make your existing policy work for you and your family.
Did you know that you can play a part in determining your auto insurance rates? With Driveology, you have the chance to earn discounts based on your good driving behavior. You can also monitor your vehicle health and environmental impact in the process.
If you have a teen driver in the house, you may be able to save even more with you Young Driver Safety program. With this program, drivers under the age of 25 can learn safe driving behaviors, and help you earn discounts on your auto policy premiums.
Prepare for the Unexpected
You try to be as prepared as possible, but you never know what is right around the corner. Prepare for unexpected risks with an umbrella policy. Umbrella earns its name because the coverage arches over your vehicle and homeowner's insurance to provide an extra layer of protection: it starts where vehicle and homeowner's insurance liability limits stop. You might be surprised by all the things umbrella policies cover for an affordable price.
Call Your Agent
When was the last time you evaluated your coverage's with your agent? Your agent can do an annual SuperCheck and make sure you are covered where you need it (and aren't paying for coverage's you've outgrown). Life changes fast, make sure your insurance keeps up. If you have been wondering if you could bundle your policies, need a different life insurance policy, or bought a new boat, you could use a SuperCheck. Contact your agent and schedule a brief review today.
With this new year, if you have resolved to save money, your agent may be able to help. Contact your agent today. It's an easy resolution to keep and can affect your bottom line all year. Can you say that for other resolutions?
5 things NOT to store in your garage!
With the onset of Spring in the Treasure Valley, most of us try to accomplish new goals, get a new fresh start. Getting healthy, organizing our homes, bettering our lives' always seem to be at the top of the list. One space to start cleaning and organizing is the garage! That extra storage area that easily becomes a catchall for excess items. We have compiled a list of items that should not be stored in your garage. Get them out and reclaim your space.
- Paint- Because the garage is prone to extreme temperature changes, paint should not be stored in the garage. Recycle paint according to your county guidelines or donate it.
- Electronics- If you are putting electronics out in the garage, you must not be using them. Donate these items because they can’t withstand the temperature fluctuations and will easily break.
- Propane and Hazardous Chemicals- Proper ventilation is key for storage of propane and hazardous chemicals. For safety reasons, these items need to be stored outside.
- Food- Keeping food in the garage is an open invitation to rodents and insects. Although shopping in bulk can save money, storing extra food in the garage will cause problems. The moisture and humidity will spoil the food. Find room in the house for food storage.
- Cardboard boxes- Insects, mice and other rodents love cardboard. Invest in waterproof plastic bins to store your items.
Hope these tips help you gain back your garage.
Flooded Business in Cleveland, OH
According to the National Weather Service (NOAA). "Approximately 75% of all Presidential disaster declarations are associated with flooding." NOAA lists that the most common flood hazards in the United States are:
- Flash Flooding
- River Flooding
- Storm Surge and Coastal Inundation from Tropical and Non-Tropical Systems
- Burn Scars/Debris Flows (Caused by Wildfires)
- Ice/Debris Jams
- Dry Wash (Caused by heavy rainfall in dry areas)
- Dam Breaks/Levee Failure
Unfortunately, even people who do not live in areas that are prone to flooding may become flood victims at some point. In fact, 20% of all claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were for policies in low-risk communities. On average, floods cost $3.5 billion in annual losses in the US, and commercial flood claims average more than $75,000 (NFIP).
Here in Cleveland, OH, flooding events are unfortunately common, especially during this time of year. The combination of tropical systems, clay heavy soil (slow to absorb water), and a tendency for severe storms (high amount of rainfall in a small-time frame) provides the perfect recipe for flash floods. Flood insurance is a must for most people throughout our metroplex, particularly those that are close to any creeks or rivers. Follow these flood safety tips to keep you and your family safe during a flooding event.
When catastrophic water damage happens to you, SERVPRO of Gateway professionals can help! We can help you prepare ahead of time with an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) or respond to any size disaster to begin cleanup and restoration to get your home or business back to normal as soon as possible.
SERVPRO of Gateway professionals are ready to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Letting Experts Handle Water Damage
Water damage at a Cleveland school
Letting Experts Handle Water Damage
Regardless of whether it is floods or broken pipes that cause the damage in Cleveland, do not attempt to do the entire clean-up process alone. Taking advantage of expert help comes with a lot of perks. For instance, reduction of total losses by preventing long-term problems like mold and structural damage.
If your home in Cleveland suffers water damage you are better off working with professionals to assist with the restoration process. It can be an overwhelming experience where homeowners may not be in a position to do things right.
Working with a reputable company like SERVPRO can lead to faster water extraction which also reduces drying time. Our experts provide 24-hour emergency services, and We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster. Trained technicians have the necessary tools to quickly get rid of any standing water as well as excess water from furniture and carpets so that the drying process can begin as soon as possible. Keep in mind that time is an essential factor in cases of water removal and less damage can occur the sooner technicians get rid of the water.
Having experts handle water damage can save you a lot of money and headache. Note that the situation can cause structural damage to your beloved home. Exposure to water for extended periods can also result in extensive damage to walls and flooring. Water can seep between drywalls causing hidden hazards and breeding grounds for mold. Dealing with such can create a huge dent in your wallet. However, if there is a timely response, you may be saved from all the trouble.
Elimination of health concerns is another reason you opt to hire professionals from SERVPRO. We utilize advanced technology to get the job done. Depending on what was the root of water damage, it is possible that hazardous microorganisms and bacteria attack your home. These can cause adverse health effects.
SERVPRO water damage restoration technicians are trained in potentially contaminated water removal. We also have protective equipment (PPE) that we wear during water extraction. Contact SERVPRO of Gateway any time you experience water damage, and we will handle it professionally. We offer round the clock emergency services in Cuyahoga County!
Ways to Prevent Fire Damage Part 1
Soot covered walls after a Christmas Eve grease fire.
With the holidays behind us hopefully everyone has put up their Christmas decorations. As homeowners it is essential to be mindful of the presence of fire hazards and to minimize the possibility of them causing a structure fire. A good example is keeping around a severely dehydrated, and highly flammable Christmas tree too long. SERVPRO of Gateway has compiled the following prevention tips for some areas in your home to help keep you and your loved ones safe from possible fire hazards throughout the new year.
In the kitchen:
• Avoid leaving cooking food unattended. If a grease fire occurs, use baking soda to extinguish it. NEVER use water on a grease fire. You can smother the fire in the pan by starving it of oxygen by placing a lid over it. Always supervise children that are cooking and educate on the dangers of fire and cooking appliances.
• Be aware of where you leave pot holders, dish towels, aprons and any cooking utensils.
• Ensure that electrical appliances are far from sinks, flames or hot plates
• Invest in carbon monoxide detector if your home does not already have one if you use natural gas for heating and cooking.
In living areas & bedrooms:
• Make your home a smoke free environment if possible, or at least ensure that cigars, cigarettes, and pipes are properly extinguished prior to disposal as they may continue to burn and may reignite.
• Recycle and replace appliances with damaged electrical cords
• Avoid running electrical wires or cords under the weight of heavy furniture and rugs
• If you feel that you often have to unplug an appliance to plug in another because your outlet is overloaded, reconsider spacing out appliances to other outlets
• Be aware that clothing or draperies do not rest atop lighting such as desk lamps.
Take a moment from your day to check the areas in your home and see if there are any possible fire hazards.
Check out our next blog for fire safety prevention tips for your bathrooms and garage from SERVPRO of Gateway.
Ways to Prevent Fire Damage Part 2
Fire damaged bathroom after a Christmas Eve grease fire.
In our previous blog SERVPRO of Gateway covered some fire safety tips for the kitchen, living areas, and bedrooms. Here you’ll find more suggestions on locating possible fire hazards that exist in your home and reminders of how to keep you and your loved ones safe from structure fires.
In the bathroom:
• Ensure that proper care is taken when using candles in a restroom for deodorizing and that they are snuffed out before you leave
• Use appropriate incense plates or burners; do not leave cones or sticks lying on counters, shelving or windowsills
• Turn off hair styling irons before you walk away from it and invest in fire resistant holders
• Do not use, or charge, electronic devices near you while you are showering or bathing
• Before leaving home turn off any wax or oil potpourri pots
In the garage/storage:
• Chemicals such as fuels, solvents, cleaning agents, thinners, adhesives, and paints could ignite or explode due to improper storage. Make sure you take time to organize chemicals and to properly store them, preferably away from the house if possible. Dispose of anything that is damaged or leaking.
• Do not use stoves or barbecue grills inside the garage; you could not only start a fire, but also die from carbon monoxide inhalation
• If fire extinguishers are present in the home, ensure that everyone knows its location and how to use it. We also recommend having a fire plan in place.
Now, this is not a comprehensive list by any means, but these tips should be covered with family and/or roommates so that everyone understands where fire hazards exist for everyone’s safety and well-being. SERVPRO of Gateway hopes you never have to experience the effects of a fire loss where you live, but we are here to help if you ever need our services. Call us 24 hours a day at 216-575-1985
Don't wait when water damage hits!
Big or small, water damage to your home or business is nothing to be taken lightly. What may seem to be a small problem could cause large structural or air quality issues over a period of time.
How a water problem is handled is of the utmost importance. The last thing a property owner wants is for a seemingly small problem end up being a long-term threat to a home or business. That is where SERVPRO of Gateway comes in the picture. Using the proper tools and expertise to identify and dry unseen water will prevent further damage to your property. Technology and equipment combined with the knowledge and training of SERVPRO professionals will ensure that you and your property are getting the best treatment possible.
Moisture sensors, moisture meters, thermo-hygrometers, and thermal imaging cameras are some of the tools your SERVPRO professionals will use to properly test and inspect your water damage. Put your trust in SERVPRO and their equipment and training to take care of your water damage and make it "Like it never even happened."